Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween past and present

This is the first halloween in 18 years that I haven't had a child to share it with. In halloween's past the season would be full of costume making, cookie decorating, candy buying, house decorating, and scary (not gory) movie watching. Andrew's first halloween we dressed him as a dalmation dog. Over the years he was Winnie the Pooh, a ninja, a knight, a soldier the first halloween after 9/11, and finally at age 17 for his last halloween he was Holmes to his best friends Watson.

This year I barely remembered to get candy and put out the ceramic pumpkin that we've had since I was 10. Costumes? None for Mike and I. Some days getting dressed takes all day. However, in a fit of being silly I did put a pair of Groucho glasses on Andrew's small urn and his Shriner's hat on his scattering urn. Everyone who sees it has laughed and said it's so what Andrew would have done. 

In the end we turned off the lights, watched his favorite scary movie, The Bad Seed, and relaxed under our new fleece blankets that my sister gave us for our birthdays this year. 

Happy Halloween Andrew. We miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment